On June 9, 2020, the Board of Education approved the creation of a school-based Later School Start Time Committee with the following members:
- Jonathan Budd, Ph.D., Assistant Superintendent, Chair
- Thomas Edwards, Trumbull High School Science Department Chair
- Marc Guarino, Trumbull High School Principal
- Michael King, Trumbull High School Athletic Director
- Marylena Kourounis, parent representative
- John Mastrianni, President, Trumbull Education Association
- Jennifer Neumeyer, Principal, Tashua Elementary School
- Dawn Perkins, Transportation Coordinator
- Bryan Rickert, Principal, Hillcrest Middle School
- Stuart Schwartz, community representative
- Sara Scrofani, Trumbull High School technology integration specialist
The Board affirmed the need for a transparent committee process. All agendas and minutes of the Committee will be posted here.
At the Board's July 14, 2020, meeting, Dr. Budd presented a detailed plan that was discussed and endorsed by the Board, including the Committee's specific charge, timeline, transparency steps, subcommittees, and expanded membership. The presentation to the BOE is available by clicking here.
The first meeting of the Committee will be Tuesday, July 21, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. The agenda, including information on accessing the meeting via Google Meet, will be posted here by the afternoon of Friday, July 17.
Relevant background includes:
- On February 26, 2019, the work of a prior exploratory committee was presented to the Board by consultant Jonathan Costa. Please click here for a copy of that presentation.
- On March 10, 2020, Sarah Raskin, Ph.D., presented to the Board the positive impact of later school start times on adolescent health. Please click here for a copy of that presentation.